Monday, March 21, 2005

Don't Get Used To This

The Right To Die Before You're Used As A Political Pawn
As if non-stop Martha coverage wasn't enough to send me to Costco for a 2 gallon bottle of Pepto-bismol, now I have to endure the ad hominem legislative antics of our "culture of life" supporters in Washington. Yes, I'm talking about the media and political frenzy around Terri Schiavo, a woman who's condition makes Stephen Hawking look like an Olympic athlete. Won't someone please let this poor woman die with at least a shred of dignity? While I empathize with her parents and their obstinate reluctance to let go of their child, no amount of "therapy" is going to bring back a brain damaged woman 15 years after the fact. And to allow Congressional Republicans (and Democrats), along with the president, to use the family tragedy as a cheap tool to placate Christian fundamentalists and pad their voting record is just repulsive. Constitutional scholars back me up here; isn't it illegal for Congress to pass a law directed at a single individual? I won't even get in to all the obvious contradictions of being against stem cell research, being for the death penalty, but claiming you're out to protect life. So I'm saying it loud and saying it proud; for the sake of the husband, the family, and our legislative process, but most of all for the woman herself, I want Terri Schiavo to die.

--MC No Shame