Thursday, November 04, 2004

TODAY'S TOP FIVE: I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again.

This Kind of Says It All, Doesn't It?


Get Your Bets In Now! The Arafat Death Watch Has Reached a Fever Pitch There are conflicting news reports about whether Palestinian leader and Grade A creepo Yasser Arafat is in a coma. I don't want to sound cruel, and perhaps it's just the election that has coarsened my mood, but this dude can't shuffle off the stage of history fast enough for me.

Was There Vote Fraud? Undoubtedly, but was it significant enough to tip the balance in Bush's favor? Some people think so, based on discrepancies between exit polls and final results in states where electronic voting machines were used. Mark Crispin Miller, for one, seems weirdly insistent that Bush didn't pick up 8 million more votes this year than in 2000 without some kind of electronic jiggery-pokery. I guess that's an explanation easier to live with than "Republicans won because they successfully appealed to the majority's hatred of gay sex."

Speaking of Gay Dudes... Unbelievably, Bush received the same amount of support from gay voters this year that he did in 2000. Was something about his "I hate gays and want to legalize discrimination against them" message not getting across?

I've Got to Admit: It's Getting Better...Wait, No It's Not The economy shed more than 100,000 jobs in October, and it looks like it will match or top that number in November. George W. Bush is the first president since Hoover to lose jobs in his first term, and the first since the 19th century to win re-election with a net job loss (McKinley was the last...also boosted by a needless colonial war, I might add). But, you know, at least we stopped them gay dudes from civilly uniting.

-Consider Arms